Tuesday, March 12, 2013

For Sharon, This is Gonna be Harder for Me, 'Project 157'

“I never would have turned out like this if it wasn’t for you.” I spoke around the nails in my mouth, shaking my head.

Her sunken eyes looked up at me from her pinewood coffin. She had been pretty once, a real looker; but now her skin was beyond pale, a gross, veined grey. This was difficult for me. I hefted the lid on.

Lining up the first nail, I raised the hammer and brought it down swiftly.

Thunk.

Thunk.

Thunk.

Ten in all.

It took a rope and pulley system to heft the coffin into my truck bed. Throwing a tarp over it, I hopped in and drove out into the country. I shifted into reverse and gunned it, aiming for the deep hole I had pre-dug days earlier. I mashed my foot down on the break, and the box went flying into the grave.

It took six hundred shovels of dirt to make her disappear.


End

No comments:

Post a Comment