Wednesday, March 6, 2013

For Salman, Waves and Night and Sharks, 'Project 157'

My skin sloughs off in chunks. Waterlogged, I believe that’s the CSI-style term. Up and over one wave, then down into the valley. An infinite rhythm.

Drowning sucked. The pain was more excruciating than anything I have ever experienced: the burning throughout my entire being, then the fireworks as my oxygen-starved brain clung to life.

Nothing surprised me as much as death though. I guess it never occurred to me that I would still be conscious, trapped in an unresponsive body, existing in this endless dream-like state.

Always dead but never sleeping.

Who could have known that the afterlife would be this way? No reincarnation, no heaven, no hell. Not even oblivion.

Waves and night and sharks.

Soon they’ll find my body. They’ll bag and tag me, and slice me open. I’ll be forced to watch my family and friends mourn, just to be lowered into that eternal night, wrapped in velvet flowers and an ill-fitting suit.


End

No comments:

Post a Comment