Tuesday, March 12, 2013

For Camille, The Coal Miner's Daughter, 'Project 157'

I can scarcely describe his fury, for a father’s wrath in unparalleled by either gods or men. The combined weight of heaven and hell bore down on me through the barrel of that Colt 45.

“DADDY NO!” She screamed - as the shots ripped through me - and into the wall of the ramshackle house. She leapt for his arm, and he turned, smashing her to the floor with his gun.

The past several months replayed in my mind... her velvet-soft skin... the warmth between her thighs... sunlight on the wildflowers, as she danced through the blossoming fields.

The room wheeled around me, and grew dark. His voice echoed like and ancient god. “You no-good bastard son of a crooked whore! I’ll bury you!” His boot was on my chest now, now kicking my ribs. I was losing touch fast.

I turned and smiled at her, “I love you Annalise.”

The stars were coming out just then.


End

1 comment: