Thursday, March 14, 2013

For Amanda, Escaping Manhattan, 'Project 157'

I took her breath away by the light of the full moon, in a boxcar on our way out west. The cattails swayed by the side of the lake, and we fell asleep behind some wooden crates, on a bed of raggedy blankets and straw.

At first, the noise of the train seemed deafening, but when we met, my fears and failures melted away, and the clanking and rushing soon faded. We shared a smile, but not our stories. Then we shared our selves...

Before I wanted it to, dawn broke over the flint hills; all amber, blood, and fire. The train began to slow. I buried my face in her hair, and inhaled. Sweet sweat, dust, mixed with something floral. My heart skipped a beat. From that day on, it didn’t matter who we had been, only that we were together. The train pulled into the station, and we rose from our slumber new persons.


End

No comments:

Post a Comment