Monday, January 28, 2013

Spaghetti & Meatsauce


I've been in a strange sense of mind lately, a place of constant flashbacks to my childhood.

Images, tastes, smells...

The way the air feels in my lungs, the way the dirt feels on my feet.

I look back, and realize now that I've been lying to myself, and the others. I've always denied that I was raised in Kansas, claiming my youngest years as an army brat as my only source of who I've become.

The truth is, Hawaii is a distant memory. One that I cling to desperately... the seashore, and the cold, fat drops of rain... But I moved to Kansas when I was like nine or ten, and Kansas is really where I became who I am now.

I was raised under thunderstorms, in a crumbling capital city, against the endless amber waves of grain. That is the ocean I am most familiar with, and the flint hills are the sea billows on which I sail.

Childhood desires... long hours spent daydreaming and becoming lost in my imagination.

I can honestly say that I can picture myself living in Manhattan forever...

Yet, somehow... my heart still lies with the sea.

End

No comments:

Post a Comment