Wednesday, April 16, 2014

For Kimberly, 23 Going On 7, 'Project 157'

I put out the ice cream to melt. Setting my bin of Legos on the sofa, I flip on Netflix and fire up some MST3K. Sometimes I need to be a little kid again. 

I kick off my jeans and pull on my Batman PJ's. I think I'll build a spaceship. That's always been my go-to Lego project, each one getting more elaborate than the last. 

I remember showing my mom every innovation. Opening hatches, retractable landing gear, missiles ready to launch. She always listened, even when she was busy. Endless hours of exposition about every plastic vessel. 

Later, I will spread melted ice cream between chocolate chip cookies to make sandwiches just like she taught me. We have our differences these days, but even now she takes the time to listen. We don't agree about everything, but we always trust each other. 

I think I'll send her some pictures when my latest Lego creation is complete. 

End. 

No comments:

Post a Comment