Wednesday, February 20, 2013

For Ravyn, A Covenant, 'Project 157'

After fifty three years of marriage, I wouldn't have it any other way.

We have an old house on the cliff overlooking the sea. It took us practically our entire lives to save for it. Often, we sit on the porch and watch the splendor of the sunset cascade over the horizon - turning the sea a myriad of deep purples and fiery reds.
At night, the sea breeze washes in through or window, and I lay with my eyes open thinking of our children and grandchildren. Eventually, we fall asleep, cuddling like two spoons in a drawer. Just like we did when we were newlyweds.

I wake to the same sea breeze. I nuzzle her soft brown hair and kiss her ear. It is unexpectedly cold. I whisper her name, and gently nudge her, with my hand.

Slowly, she wakes, and my seventy five year old heart started beating again. Today would not be our last.

No comments:

Post a Comment