Friday, June 8, 2012

A Word about Apple

Lately, I have had an on-again, off-again relationship with Apple.
I've had complaints about their products, their customer care, and their account management.
This being said: when I walk through my door; gently toss my IPod Touch on the couch, and, (without touching it,) hear that little ping that I have a push notification… it's magic.
You see, I love Apple products. I truly believe that they are, for the most part, creatively designed and beautifully executed bits of technological genius.
What that little ping means to me is that my IPod, (affectionately named "Cas",) has found my home network, logged me in, searched all of my apps, and notified me of any changes. All in a matter of moments.
Similarly, the touch interface is not only deeply intuitive, but also exceedingly beautiful.
What I find frustrating is that Apple seems to be holding back. Their products are ten years behind what imagine they could be. Their software is still glitchy, their hardware fragile and limited. Their customer service is cold and unyielding, kind of like a friendly chat with Big Brother.
I guess what I'm trying to say is this: I see what could be, and am disappointed with the yawning gap.

I find their products inspiring, but I often feel they are holding back, playing it safe. I feel tired of waiting for their next product, only to find it is exactly what I expected, maybe even a little less. Why not take a step out, flex your imaginations, and stretch the limits of the technology available?

Surprise me.
I dare you.

G

No comments:

Post a Comment