Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Another

I know it is wrong to fall in love with a boy. 

I know it is wrong, but my heart aches nonetheless. 

When I think about his curly hair or his bright green eyes, I feel a familiar lump form in my chest. 

When we're together, I try to play it cool. I push it down, I change the subject and try to think about anything else. The growing murmur becomes a rushing train in my ears. Despite every effort to the contrary, I always act like a schoolboy when we hang out; trying to constantly impress but acting like a fool. Later, I chastise myself for being so awkward.

When we are apart, which is most of the time, I replay our exploits in my mind: 
Late night galavanting
Dinner parties
Shouting and nonsense and music
Blurry bars and subway rides

Most fondly, I remember the car ride through the suburbs when I rested my head on his shoulder. I still remember the smell of his body, and the sound of his voice resonating through his chest. 

I can't control my bitter jealousy either. I am intensely resentful of his closer friends. I flush at the thought of all of the people who get to spend more time with him than me. 

Sometimes, I think about the time we kissed at a party. It was only a dare, but I can still feel his stubble on my cheek. 

More than anything, I long for a single sign. A few words or a touch that shows he loves me just as much... even if it's not in the same way. 

End. 

No comments:

Post a Comment